close
Puerto rico government

Wife of slain Haitian president meets judge as part of investigation

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) – Martine Moïse, widow of the assassinated president of Haiti, traveled to her homeland to answer behind closed doors questions on Wednesday from a judge overseeing the murder case.

Surrounded by heavy security, Moses motioned to the followers who shouted “Justice! and entered the courthouse in the capital Port-au-Prince, coming out nearly three hours later.

“I answered 80 questions,” she said. “I gave him all the information I had.”

The investigation into the July 7 attack in which President Jovenel Moïse was shot and killed at his private home and his wife injured continues as many wonder who orchestrated and funded the assassination. More than 40 suspects have been arrested, including 20 Haitian police officers and 18 former Colombian soldiers, with Colombian officials saying the majority did not know the true nature of the operation. Authorities say other suspects are still at large, including a former Haitian senator.

As Martine Moïse left the courthouse, a group of about fifty supporters surrounded her car and chanted: “It’s my mom! It’s my mother!”

Before leaving, Moïse said that she was seeking justice for her husband: “I call on anyone who knows anything about my husband’s murder to bring information to the authorities.

She declined further comments except to say that this is her first time speaking to the judge about the case and that she would be available whenever she needed it. Moses was airlifted to Miami after being shot and lived there temporarily.

Earlier in the day, supporters wearing white T-shirts featuring a photo of Jovenel Moïse chanted and applauded as several shouted that the assassination was a blow to them. Some of them brawled with critics of Moses who were also present.

Martine Moïse was interviewed the same day the Ombudsman-like Office of Citizen Protection held a press conference to demand that authorities investigate Haitian Prime Minister Ariel Henry. The former chief prosecutor in Port-au-Prince, who Henry sacked, said the prime minister received two phone calls from a key suspect just hours after the assassination.

Henry recently told The Associated Press that he does not recall receiving the calls, adding that he fired the prosecutor and the justice minister because he accused them of not being credible or ethical.

The Office of Citizen Protection has also called for the United Nations to launch an international commission of inquiry.

___

Associated Press reporters Evens Sanon in Port-au-Prince and Dánica Coto in San Juan, Puerto Rico contributed.

Copyright © 2021. All rights reserved. This website is not intended for users located in the European Economic Area.


Source link

Jacob C.

The author Jacob C.

Leave a Response